Friday, April 4, 2008

BREVITAS

WORD

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today - my own government - Rev. Jeremiah Wright

CORRECTION: The words were actually from a speech delivered April 4, 1967 by Rev Martin Luther King

MONEY

HOW THE BANKERS RIPPED OFF SCHOOL SYSTEMS

ECO CLIPS

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS David Richardson, 49, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of stealing grease after police said he siphoned it from a storage tank at a Morgan Hill Burger King. A Burger King manager called police because he didn't recognize the truck belonging to a man he saw siphoning the oil. When police stopped Richardson, his 5,000-gallon oil tank was half-full. Police suspect the Illinois man, who worked for Restaurant Oils of America in Las Vegas, intended to recycle the oil at an Atascadero refinery for $1.35 a gallon. A full tank would have been worth $6,750. "Our guess is it's a biodiesel fuel thing. It's like someone stealing copper wire," said Morgan Hill police Cmdr. David Swing. "This might turn into something that starts to occur more frequently."

COUNTERINTUITIVE NEWS

MADISON CAPITAL TIMES Enacting city smoking bans appears to increase drunken driving, a study of arrests conducted by Wisconsin researchers asserts. A national study to be released by the Journal of Public Economics found an increase of fatal accidents involving alcohol after communities prohibited smoking, compared to arrests in communities without a ban. The authors attribute that to people driving to places without a ban, and also to driving farther to find a place within a ban area that has an outdoor smoking accommodation, such as a patio. . . The authors, Scott Adams of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Economics Department and Chad Cotti, currently at the University of South Carolina, call the results "surprising.". . .

FURTHERMORE. . . .

HEADLINE OF THE DAY 81 percent of Americans believe U.S. is headed in the wrong direction. The other 19 percent learned to drive in Britain - Fark

CHANNEL SIX, FL A recent survey that found some Florida teens believe drinking a cap of bleach will prevent HIV and a shot of Mountain Dew will stop pregnancy has prompted lawmakers to push for an overhaul of sex education in the state. The survey showed that Florida teens also believe that smoking marijuana will prevent a person from getting pregnant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home