Thursday, July 24, 2008

HEAD OF LEADING CANCER INSTITUTE WARNS STAFF ON CELL PHONES

BBC - The director of a leading US cancer research institute has sent a memo to thousands of staff warning of possible higher risks from mobile phone use. Ronald Herberman, of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, said users should not wait for definitive studies on the risk and should take action now. He said children should use mobiles in emergencies only and adults should try to keep the phone away from the head. No major academic study has confirmed a link to higher brain-tumor risks.

Dr Herberman said his warning was based on early findings from unpublished data. "We shouldn't wait for a definitive study to come out, but err on the side of being safe rather than sorry later," he says. . .

A major six-year research study in the UK said last year that there were no short-term adverse effects to brain and cell function from mobile phone use. However, the UK Mobile Telecommunications and Health Research Program said there was a "hint" of a higher cancer risk in the long term and that its research would look into the effects over a 10-year period. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home